Home > Council Services > Customer Charter
Wakefield Regional Council is located approximately 95km from Adelaide. The region is recognised as an attractive residential location with a major commercial centre at Balaklava surrounded by the smaller townships of Owen, Hamley Bridge, Blyth, Brinkworth, Snowtown, Lochiel and the coastal town of Port Wakefield. The aim of our Charter is to provide our water and/or sewerage customers with a clear understanding of the standards of service they can expect from us and their rights and responsibilities. The Water Retail Code-Minor & Intermediate Retailers, developed by Essential Services Commission of SA (ESCOSA), contains a detailed description of your rights and our responsibilities in providing you with water and/or sewerage retail services and can be found at (www.escosa.sa.gov.au)
Retail Services ProvidedWe provide customers in the townships of Balaklava, Hamley Bridge, Port Wakefield, Blyth, Snowtown and Brinkworth with CWMS or VCWMS services.We also provide Grade B recycled water within those townships for limited use on community facilities (eg ovals) by agreement.
Sewerage Removal (Quality)We will:
- remove sewage and wastewater from your property in accordance with all relevant health and environmental regulatory requirements.
- use our best endeavours to minimise the frequency and duration of interruptions or limitations to your sewerage service
- provide you with information on any planned interruptions to your sewerage service at least 4 business days prior to us undertaking any works or maintenance
- provide an emergency telephone number on our website for you to call in the event of an emergency or interruption to the supply of your sewerage service
- will report any blockages, bursts or leaks to us as soon as possible by calling the emergency telephone number displayed on our website
- will not discharge restricted wastewater into our sewerage infrastructure
- may be liable to pay us for a proportion of the costs reasonably attributable to you for a blockage, burst or leak. Will we advise you of the reasons for cost recovery in these circumstances and any amounts payable will be subject to the payment assistance and financial hardship provisions of your contract with us
Price ListWe will:
- publish our annual Fees and Charges, which sets out all of the fees and charges associated with the sale and supply of your services, each year by 25 July on our website at www.wakefieldrc.sa.gov.au. We will also make this available at our office at Scotland Place, Balaklava, 5461.
- publish our Pricing Policy Statement, which outlines how our fees and charges are compliant with ESCOSA's pricing principles set out in its Price Determination, each year by 25 July on our website at www.wakefieldrc.sa.gov.au. We will also make this available at our office at Scotland Place, Balaklava, 5461.
- in the case that any fees and charges set out in the Price List change, publish these on our website 7 days prior to these fees and charges taking effect, and make these available at our office
- calculate your bill on a pro-rata basis if a tariff rate or charge changes during a billing cycle so that the old tariff rate or charge applies up to and including the date of change and the new tariff rate or charge applies from the date of the change to the end of the billing cycle
Service Availability ChargeThe Local Government Act 1999/Roxby Downs Indenture Ratification Act 1982 allows us to recover a “service availability charge” from you where our water/sewerage infrastructure runs adjacent to your property. We will require you to pay our “service availability charge”.
Water and Sewerage ConcessionsWater and sewerage concessions are administered by the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion. To check your eligibility for current water and sewerage concessions, assistance or advice visit www.dcsi.sa.gov.au/concessions, phone the Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758 or email email@example.com.
Connections – where your property is not currently connected to our infrastructureWe will:
- inform you within 5 days whether or not you can be connected to our infrastructure
- ensure a licensed plumber is engaged to connect your property to our sewerage services and provide us with the following information about your supply address : your name; street number of the property; lot number; Street name, Town, volume/folio numbers and postal/billing address.
- pay the relevant connection and account establishment fees as set out in our Price List
Billing and PaymentsWe will:
- include your CWMS charges on your rates notice, (separately identified) and issued quarterly.
- provide you with a detailed bill and give you at least 20 business days to pay your bill
- offer you the ability to pay your bills in person, by mail, by BPAY, by Australia Post BPay or by Credit Card
- pay our bill by the payment due date unless we have agreed on a flexible payment arrangement
- pay any fee we incur if any of your payment methods are dishonoured
Payment Assistance and Financial HardshipWe will:
- provide you with the ability to pay your bills by instalments or enter into a flexible payment arrangement
- offer you the ability to make payments towards future bills, grant payment extensions and agree to have your bill redirected to another person (where that person agrees)
- inform you about, and assess your eligibility for, our Hardship Program if requested
- inform us if you are having difficulty paying your bills prior to the due date
Reviewing your Bill/Billing DisputesWe will:
- not commence our debt collection processes where a bill (or part of a bill) is in dispute
- review your bill and inform you of the outcome of our review within 10 business days of your request
- inform you about our independent external dispute resolution body should you remain dissatisfied following our review
- pay any portion of your bill that is not in dispute while your bill is being reviewed or any future bills that become due
- inform you within 10 business days of becoming aware of you being overcharged as a result of an act or omission by us and credit the overcharged amount to your next bill
- pay the overcharged amount directly to you within 10 business days if you have ceased to purchase a retail service from us
- list the undercharged amount as a separate item in a special bill or in your next bill with an explanation of that amount and, if requested, offer you an extended time to pay the amount
- not charge you interest on the undercharged amount
Debt RecoveryWe will:
- only commence debt collection/recovery action where you have failed to pay your bill(s) by the due date and you have not contacted us to discuss a payment extension or other flexible payment arrangements (including eligibility for our Hardship Program)
- contact us if you are having difficulty paying your bills prior to the due date
Entry to your PropertyWe will:
- provide you with at least 24 hours notice if we need to enter your supply address for the purposes of connecting, disconnecting, restricting, inspecting, repairing or testing your retail service
- ensure safe access to our infrastructure located at your supply address
DisconnectionsSubject to any applicable regulatory requirementsthat prohibit disconnection, we will only disconnect your retail service if:
- there is a public health, environment or safety risk to our services from your connection point (e.g. backflow risk or unauthorised industrial waste discharge)
- you are found to be using the services illegally or have refused entry to person authorised to read your meter or undertake maintenance or repairs in accordance with relevant regulatory instruments
- you request the disconnection and there are no public health, environmental or safety risks
Complaints and Dispute ResolutionWe will:
- respond or acknowledge your complaint or enquiry within 10 business days
- refer you to an independent consultant if you are not satisfied with our initial response or resolution
- advise you of your option to escalate your complaint to our nominated independent dispute resolution body and provide you with the details of that organisation
Contacting UsIf you need to know more about us or the content of this Charter, please contact us on the details below. General Enquiries: 8862 0800 Faults & Emergencies 0400 112 136 Website: www.wakefieldrc.sa.gov.au Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Office: Scotland Place, Balaklava, 5461. Business hours 9am - 5pm Mon - Fri