Top 10 Things to See & Do
"A unique and diverse region with real character - certainly worth a visit!"
Home to a diverse region extending from the Gulf of St Vincent to the eastern ranges, the Wakefield area is recognised for its significant farming and agricultural sector, recreational and cultural activities, colonial history and bygone railway era. This region is nestled between the tourism areas of the Yorke Peninsula, Clare Valley and Barossa Valley featuring towns such as Port Wakefield, Balaklava, Blyth, Snowtown and Hamley Bridge. These unique rural communities are worth allocating some time to either explore as a day visit or as you are driving through to your next destination.
1. Explore Port Wakefield, a hidden treasure, and learn about its colonial heritage;
2. Relax at the Port Wakefield wharf and enjoy lunch from one of the local cafés or bakeries;
3. Play a round of golf on the 18 hole course at Balaklava or Port Wakefield;
4. Visit the Balaklava Museum, Court House Gallery and one of the local eateries for delicious local produce;
5. Visit Ian Robert’s Medika Gallery at Blyth;
6. Catch a movie at the local Blyth Cinema;
7. View the Wakefield area from Brook’s Lookout;
8. Wander around the Pepper Tree Trail at Brinkworth or the History Trail at Owen;
9. See the ‘Big Blade’ at Snowtown;
10. Or take a photo of the ‘Loch…iel Monster’ in Lake Bumbunga, Lochiel.